medical equipment, medicare, coverage

What Medical Equipment Does Medicare Cover?

Under Part B and Medicare Advantage, you can get coverage for items that are deemed medically necessary. These items are typically known as durable medical equipment, which includes items or supplies that are medically necessary to maintain daily activities at home. Durable medical equipment can be used repeatedly, be used at home for a medical reason, and is expected to last at least three years or more. 

How Does Medicare Cover Medical Equipment?

Medicare covers equipment that is used in managing a health condition, recovering from an injury, or recovering from surgery. Medicare will cover medical items such as diabetic supplies, canes, walkers, crutches, wheelchairs, oxygen, and other related supplies. 

If you are enrolled in Original Medicare, you will get coverage for durable medical equipment under Medicare Part B as long as you meet all the eligibility requirements. You can get coverage for certain medical equipment under Part A if you’re under hospice care. Medicare Advantage plans also cover the same medical equipment covered under Original Medicare.

Medicare Part B covers 80% of the approved amount for most durable medical equipment. You are to cover the remaining 20% of the costs. Enrollees are also required to meet their deductible before Medicare begins to cover approved medical equipment. The deductible for Part B in 2021 is $203.

How to Get Durable Medical Equipment

After your doctor approves the item, they can help recommend where to get the durable medical equipment, but note that Medicare enrollees are required to get medical equipment from Medicare-approved or participating suppliers. Suppose you were to get medical equipment from a non-Medicare-approved supplier. In that case, you will most likely have to pay for it out-of-pocket unless you have other health insurance in place.

Through Medicare, you can get coverage for various types of approved medical equipment. For more information about the coverage for this equipment and how it can benefit you, call us today at (417) 633-7200.

Recent Posts