Medicare Supplement Plans
Medicare Supplement plans are meant to cover your cost-sharing responsibilities for Original Medicare.
Without them, you would be paying thousands of dollars in copays and deductibles for medical services.
So, we are going to go into detail about supplements (also known as Medigap plans) so you know whether they would be useful to you.
Ready for a quote?
What do Medicare Supplement Plans cover?
There are 10 plans lettered A through N that each cover a different percentage of:
- Medicare Part A and B coinsurance/copayments
- First three pints of a blood transfusion
- Part A hospice care coinsurance/copayments
- Skilled nursing facility coinsurance
- Medicare Part A and B deductibles*
- Part B excess charges (if applicable in your area)
- Foreign travel emergency (up to plan limits)
*Those who turn 65 after January 1, 2020 are not eligible for plans that offer this benefit due to the Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act of 2015.
How much do Medicare Supplement Plans save you?
How much a Medigap plan will save you on Medicare Part A costs will depend on the number of days you spend in the hospital in a given benefit period:
- Days 1-60: $0 coinsurance for each benefit period
- Days 61-90: $352 coinsurance per day of each benefit period
- Days 91 and beyond: $704 coinsurance per each “lifetime reserve day” after day 90 for each benefit period (up to 60 days over your lifetime)
- Beyond lifetime reserve days: all costs
Part A also has a deductible of $1,408 in 2020 and all but one plan (Plan A) takes care of that deductible.
For Part B you’ll pay 20% of the Medicare-approved amount for doctor services (including services while you’re a hospital inpatient), outpatient therapy, and durable medical equipment.
If you are still eligible for a plan that covers Part B’s deductible. That’s another $198.
Which Medigap plan should I choose?
Ultimately, that answer is up to you.
Some look for the most comprehensive coverage available. That is Plans F or G, depending on when you turned 65.
If you’re looking for the best fit for you, the best thing you can do is call us at Temmen Insurance and we will help you.
We will go through your needs and budget to find the perfect plan for you.
Best part about it is, we do not charge a fee for our services. In fact, we will save you money because we will shop your policy with the best carriers available.